Powered By Blogger

My Blog List

Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Golden Gai

Golden Gai is the famous bar area in Tokyo located right next to Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku.  It is made up of shanty style bars that are very small.  The area mostly caters to the artist community (actors, musicians, writers...) but anyone is welcome at most places.  There are private clubs where you must be introduced.  These are usually small unmarked doors.  I know these places because I have seen on numerous occasions famous people going in or coming out of these doors.  Foreigners don't have a good reputation in Golden Gai and many places outright forbid foreigners.  Some places levy a special gaijin (foreigner) charge.  One place that I know will not allow foreigners that cannot speak Japanese fluently and even then they treated me rudely.  That place is in the photo to the left.  Be sure to read the sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment