Powered By Blogger

My Blog List

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Fabulous! Shinjuku Ni-chome (the gay capital of Nippon)

[cue: Judy Garland's "The Trolley Song"]
Whether you are a bear, otter, cub, straight or whatever for that matter get your manscaping on and get down to Shinjuku's Ni-chome for a truly cool time.  Friday and Saturday nights are like one huge block party and you don't have to feel intimidated if you are straight cuz the natives are really cool and encourage 'mixing'.   Shinjuku Ni-chome is located about a 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station's east exit.  It's the gay center of Japan but you'll be surprised of the 'smallness' of everything.  The whole are encompasses less than 300 sq. meters but packed into those 300 square meters is 300+ bars.  Don't expect to be looking for any big nightclubs or discos either.  The maximum capacity is no more than a couple dozen people at the larger establishments.  Although the 'leather' scene is worldwide this are is very organized into 'sen' or themed bars focusing on a specific niche.

These two were really cool to let me snap their photo before they headed into a grand opening of a new bar.  My camera battery ran out so I had to use my mobile phone camera.

They tore down the famous park that was located in the center which is sad cuz it was a symbol of the area and there were a lot of interesting people there.  I wish I had a photo of it but I used to avoid it because being the good looking guy that I am...not to mention the explaining that I have to do if my wife saw me around there.  After all, her shop is located right around the corner and she delivers her arrangements to many of the bars and I never thought that I'd be blogging about it.
There are also a number of specialty shops as well.
 One of the many specialty shops in the area.





This shop owner is a regular customer at my wife's shop.  He is very cool to my little girls as well.  I peeked in and he saw my camera and I got a pose.

There are bars that cater to the women but they tend to keep a low profile and men are usually NOT allowed into those establishments. There is also an annual 'rainbow parade' and an O-mikoshi (carrying of the portable shrine) festival for Ni-chome.  I always take part in the O-mikoshi festival.  I'll post another blog on this later because it's happens next month.

And now for something completely different...
He insisted I take his photo when he saw my camera.  

Love Ya Darlings!

2 comments:

  1. If anyone is offended by anything in this article I'll forward your complaint to the guy in the tighty whities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 何を言っているんですか?10人が最大収容人員というのは2丁目を知らない人が言うことです。今はなくなりましたが、かつて「Gamos」という数百人入れるクラブがありました。アーティーの旧店舗やディライトなども100人以上は入れたと思います。それでも2丁目はやはり小さい店が主流です。

    大きなクラブは歌舞伎町「code」や新木場「ageha」など2丁目以外にあります。そこはゲイに特化したクラブではありませんが、毎月数回ゲイパーティーが開催されていて、毎回500人~3000人が集まります。特にAgehaは盛大で、毎回3000人以上が集まります。

    ReplyDelete